Research/Lab Assistant II - Arts & Sciences - Biology
Position SummaryThe Kranz group in the Department of Biology of Washington University in St. Louis is looking for a full-time Research Technician II. Research in the lab is focused on understanding and controlling the bacterial pathways for making cytochromes. The pathways are excellent targets for antibacterials and they have already been engineered to biosynthesize new types of heme-based catalysts.
This position will involve utilizing various microbiological, biochemical and molecular biology techniques to assist with research projects investigating heme transport and heme protein assembly (e.g. cytochrome c). Projects include cloning in E. coli for engineering new heme proteins, collecting and analyzing microbiological and biochemical data, and assaying protein expression. The position will also involve ensuring the lab is properly stocked with necessary reagents and is compliant with necessary documentation and safety. The technician will be under direct supervision of the investigator in an academic setting and work closely with others.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare reagents, cultures, and buffers.
- Research studies by conducting experiments and assays on heme transport and attachment to cytochromes. Assays involve SDS PAGE, ECL-based stains, and quantitation.
- Clone and express genes in E. coli.
- Ensure compliance with established safety procedures and maintain required documentation on laboratory conditions.
- Assist with general lab maintenance and cleaning.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biology, or related field.
- Previous molecular and/or microbiological, biochemical laboratory experience.
- Ability to work independently and communicate with other lab members.
- Understanding of basic laboratory techniques, interest in learning additional laboratory skills, and desire to participate in biological research.
Bachelors degree or four years of equivalent education/experience in a laboratory or research setting.
Salary Range$16.59 - $25.92 / HourlyThe salary range reflects base salaries paid for positions in a given job grade across the University. Individual rates within the range will be determined by factors including one's qualifications and performance, equity with others in the department, market rates for positions within the same grade and department budget.
If you are unable to use our online application system and would like an accommodation, please emailCandidateQuestions@wustl.eduor call the dedicated accommodation inquiry number at 314-935-1149 and leave a voicemail with the nature of your request.
Pre-Employment ScreeningAll external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. The screenings will include criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, an employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
- Up to 22 days of vacation, 10 recognized holidays, and sick time.
- Competitive health insurance packages with priority appointments and lower copays/coinsurance.
- Want to Live Near Your Work and/or improve your commute? Take advantage of our free Metro transit U-Pass for eligible employees. We also offer a forgivable home loan of up to $12,500 for closing costs and a down payment for homes in eligible neighborhoods.
- WashU provides eligible employees with a defined contribution (403(b)) Retirement Savings Plan, which combines employee contributions and university contributions starting at 7%.
- Wellness challenges, annual health screenings, mental health resources, mindfulness programs and courses, employee assistance program (EAP), financial resources, access to dietitians, and more!
- We offer 4 weeks of caregiver leave to bond with your new child. Family care resources are also available for your continued childcare needs. Need adult care? We’ve got you covered.
- WashU covers the cost of tuition for you and your family, including dependent undergraduate-level college tuition up to 100% at WashU and 40% elsewhere after seven years with us.
For policies, detailed benefits, and eligibility, please visit: https://hr.wustl.edu/benefits/