Inside Suspension Paraeducator - Weaver High School - N198-2324
Hartford Public Schools is offering a $1,250 signing incentive for full-time, newly hired paraeducators for the 2023-24 school year.
POSTING NUMBER: N198-2324
POSTING DATE: October 11, 2023
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
POSITION: Inside Suspension Paraeducator - Weaver High School
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS: The Inside Suspension Paraeducator will be responsible for setting up and maintaining the classroom where students will be assigned for disciplinary consequences as an alternative to an Out of School Suspension.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Pick up the class work for the students on ISS.
· Meet the students at the front entrance of the building.
· Escort the students to the In-School Suspension Room.
· Take attendance for students assigned to the ISS and reporting to the main office.
· Maintain a quiet environment where students are engaged in work sent by teachers.
· Monitor student’s reflection sheets.
· Escort students to and from the bathroom in an orderly manner.
· Supervise lunch and clean-up of lunch materials in the ISS room.
· Help students set goals for better behavior.
· Collect work from students at the end of the day and deliver to the teacher.
· Dismiss students outside the building.
· Meet with teachers and/or administration as needed to review the program, implement changes if needed.
· Communicate with teachers concerning their students’ work and/or behavior while on ISS.
· Attend all in-service training/staff meetings offered by the department.
· Perform other related duties as necessary.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
· Associate Degree or High School Diploma with passing of ParaPro.
· Previous experience working with groups of children.
· Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills desirable.
· Patience and understanding of children with behavioral/special needs.
· Ability to maintain control of classroom.
· Must maintain confidentially at all times.
· Ability to handle stressful situations.
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Ten-month work year. Salary Grid in accordance with HFP Contract. $23,876 to $43,630 per year
UNION AFFILIATION: Hartford Federation of Paraeducators (HFP)
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: All current internaland externalapplicants must submit an online application. To apply, please visit https://app.hirenimble.com/jobs/hartford and follow the appropriate link.
Hartford Public Schools (Hartford, Connecticut) isa diverse community of educators and approximately 18,000 students attending 39 distinctive magnet, community, and neighborhood schools, located in the capital city of Connecticut. We are committed to being a leader in innovative urban education, cultivating equity and excellence for all of our students, closing the opportunity gaps, and preparing students for life, college, career, and success.
HPS recruits and selects diverse professionals, who are committed to developing students’ individual, academic, social, and emotional capacities and growth within the classroom and beyond. Highly talented and qualified candidates with a passion for urban education, a commitment to our Hartford students, families, and community are strongly encouraged to apply immediately!
Why Should You Choose Hartford Public Schools?
Hartford Public Schools is seeking excellent candidates and wants to provide the best experience for you. We have put together a comprehensive package of benefits and incentives, including:
● Competitive salary
● Career growth opportunities
● Tuition reimbursement
● Rich health care plan
● Professional development
Diversity Among Us
Hartford Public Schools is a diverse community of scholars and educators. Among our 18,000 students, there are 90 languages spoken; 22% of our student population are English Learners. Over 85% of the population are students of color. At Hartford Public Schools, we are well above the national average for diverse teachers and administrators. Among our teachers and administrators, 27% and 47%, respectively, identify as people of color.
Hartford is the Place for You
The state of Connecticut is seated on the northeastern seaboard. Hartford is within an hour’s drive of the coastline and is centrally located between New York City and Boston. Hartford is one of America’s oldest and most historic cities, made up of 17 unique neighborhoods rich in history and diversity. It is commonly known as the “insurance capital” due to its prominence beginning in the 19th century as home to many of the most prestigious insurance companies in the U.S., many of which still call Hartford home today. The city features world-class museums, entertainment, and sports venues and is home to several major companies. An array of restaurants reflecting cuisines from all over the world attract people from far and wide, and more than 200 arts, heritage, and cultural organizations in the Hartford region provide hundreds of events year-round. In addition, several universities and colleges are in Hartford and the surrounding towns, allowing easy access to advanced degree programs.
Position Subject to Available Funding
An Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D